Sunday, December 11, 2011

Blog Entry 23


My Project: Nopal Salad, Steak and Rice

The nopal (cactus) is originally from Mexico and its consumption dates back in the pre-Hispanic time when the Aztecs arrived to La Gran Tenochtitlan (now Mexico City) and the Senorios, (other kingdoms) that had already been established there, didn’t let them to stay in their towns so that they had to live in the arid areas where all they could eat were snakes and nopales. I don’t know about snakes, actually I think that that part is just a legend, but I can say that nopales are very tasty. In Mexico, we usually eat the nopal salad with beans and tortillas but since I had to share with my husband, I had to cook some meat and rice instead. I went to the Farmer’s Market at 14th street/Union Square, Trade Joe’s where I bought almost everything but I couldn’t find tomatoes and I bought the nopales at Tulcingo Grocery which is my local store and where they said that the nopales came from Mexico, so they are organic.
Prices
Meat   $7.79
Nopales  $6.50
Onions  $1.00
Garlic  $1.00
Cilantro  $1.50
Carrots  $2.00
 
                                                                                     
List of ingredients
Nopal Salad
1 ½ of pound of nopales
½ onion
1 tomato      



1 tea spoon of olive oil                                                 
Oregano
Crushed pepper                                                                         

Rice
2 cups of rice
4 cups of water
2 tomatoes
1/8 of onion
A clove of garlic
1 carrot

Steak

                                       Nopal Salad Preparation

     Nopales are very easy to cook but not to peel. Luckily, they are sold already peeled and cut. First, wash and boil them with water and salt until they have become soft and the mucilage has completely come out.

  

Second, strain, and wash them with cold water. Strain them again and let them cool down.


Once they’re cold, chop half onion and some cilantro. Then mix them.





Sprinkle oregano and crushed pepper. Mix them.


Lastly, cut the tomato in slices of half and add it on the top of the salad as decoration.




                                               Rice Preparation

     First, blend 2 tomatoes, 1/8 of an onion, a clove of garlic and salt in 2 cups of water.




Second, fry 2 cups of rice with olive oil until its color starts to change. Then add the tomato sauce previously blended. I recommend to cook it slowly, so the rice won’t be overcooked. Also make sure to cover the pot.





Once the rice has become dry, add a chopped carrot and two more cups of water. You can also add other type of vegetables like stream beans, green peas,  corn and potatoes just to mention some.




Then when the water is half way in to the rice add some cilantro or parsley to add a nice touch of flavor and let go until the water disappear and it’s ready.


      The steak is the easiest part of the meal. Just add salt and pepper as you like an fry it on olive oil or cook it as you pleased.

     The total meal cost was about 20 dollars without counting the tomatoes and rice because I used what I had at home since I didn’t find them in the places that I went. I enjoyed the whole process starting from the shopping because the people at the Farmer’s Market are very friendly plus the weather was so nice. Then to come home and cook which I don’t really like to do but this time I did. I noticed the difference because the smell of the organic food was stronger than the food that is not organic. Those delicious smells brought me back to my childhood and reminded me to my family in special to my grandma who used to cook as angels and love to do it. Also my tree year old nephew  came to join me while cooking as usual and I did the same as my grandma did with me which is to explain everything step by step without mentioning that he keept asking why for everything.  Therefore, what I have learned  that media and people behind are ending with things we should care about such as our alimentation an environment in order that we human beings and our planet be healthy. Finally I have realize that organic food is a bit expensive but completely worth it because it’s tastier and healthier and yes, you eat less which means the enough portion. My husband and I started to have lunch about 4 o’clock and we end about 7 because the food made us think about our countries, food, traditions and family. The meal was extremely tasty and I don’t know if it was because I cooked or because of the real natural flavors.


3 comments:

  1. What an amazing meal! I am so glad you had a good time eating it, too and that it reminded you of those things you cherish about your culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, now we are going to have to find some Nopales so we can try this one! I agree with Dr. X that the cultural connection is fantastic. And I have, by the way, eaten snake several times. A couple of times fried and once in a stew. Strangely enough, the only edible snakes are the poisonous ones like rattlesnakes.

    ReplyDelete